Winter is knocking on the door and as always there will also come an update before Christmas in Clash of Clans and this ticker here will keep you updated with what’s coming up.
In this FREQUENTLY UPDATED article, I will put up all important things (rumors, my opinion and of course official statements) together to give you guys a good overview what’s coming in the December 2018 Update – especially those of you who don’t spend hours in the official forum and Reddit.
Clash of Clans December 2018 Update
Please note, the order is from the bottom (old) to top (most recent). If you’re visiting this page for the first time and want to get the whole story, you’ll need to start from the bottom.
Update Now & Release Notes (December 10th, 2018)
The update is about to drop now and here are some additional things from the release notes:
Other Changes (Home Village)
- New extra War Layout slots are available: first extra slot costs 1000 gems, second extra slot costs 1500 gems, third extra slot costs 2000 gems.
- Players can change the Siege Machine/Clan Castle choice after the battle begins but before any units have been deployed.
- Grand Warden mode can be changed during battle before it has been deployed
- Any excess League Medals over the cap of 2500 will receive their rewards in the form of Gems. The conversion rate is 10 League Medals per Gem.
- New Achievement: Signing in to your Supercell ID account.
- Support for 2018 iPad Pro model.
- Very wide screen devices like the iPhone X and Honor P20 will now have a bit more space to zoom out so players can see as much village as on other devices.
- Settings menu: Enable/disable 2-row unit deployment bar in Home Village (tablets only, disabled by default).
- The village editor view mode does not reset to normal when toggling erase mode while scout or wall mode is enabled.
- Hide the effect of unarmed traps when scout or wall mode is enabled.
- Fixed (again) Wall Wreckers getting stuck on decorations.
- Fixed clan badge occasionally blinking for 1 frame when Clan Castle is in sleep mode.
- Donated Siege Machines gives 30 housing space to Clan Games tasks.
- Setting name during tutorial is correctly using profanity filter instead of causing out of sync.
- Clock Tower boost will remain paused after maintenance
- Before starting a battle in Builder Base, if a defensive building or trap is under construction it will show its proper level graphics in the icon.
Seasonal Clashmas Content
- Loading screen
- Holiday music
- Seasonal obstacle
- Snow effect and snow-covered buildings (Turn Snow on/off in the More Settings menu).
New Troop – Ice Golem (December 8th, 2018)
We already knew from several earlier leaks that a new troop is coming and it’s, like shown, the Ice Golem.
The Ice Golem will unlock at Town Hall 11 and the special about it is that when dying it will create a freeze effect like the Freeze Spell that lasts up to 5.5 seconds and it will slow down defenses it hits.
Hard to tell how this new buddy will find a place in attacks as on one hand the effect is pretty strong but also 15 housing space is a high price to pay for using it.
This is the last Sneak Peek for the update and I’m pretty sure that the update will roll out on Monday 🙂
Builder Base Balancing Changes (December 7th, 2018)
Builder Base will see some minor balancing changes in the December 2018 Update:
- Cannon Cart
- DPS reduced by 15%
- 3rd Cannon Cart unlocked at Level 10
- Baby Dragon
- HP increased by 7.5%
- Super PEKKA
- HP reduced by 5%
- Upgrade times for Builder Base troops reduced
- Gem Mine Level 3 available at Builder Hall 3
These changes might do some changes in the meta for Builder Hall 8 where Cannon Carts and Super PEKKA are the most commonly used composition next to Drop Ship and Minions.
I would personally have appreciated reducing upgrade costs more than times to do the other left troop upgrades until Builder Hall 9 is getting released in 2019, but the walls are so expensive at Level 8…
There have been a lot of snow and galcier words regarding tomorrows Sneak Peek, so I expect the new troop gets its’ preview 🙂
Troop Bar Improvements (December 7th, 2018)
If you use an army that consists of many different troops, you might know the problem that scrolling the troop bar can ba annoying. For that reason Supercell will have a new option in the update that will let you switch the troop bar to not scroll and show all troops. However, this layout will take quite a big part of your screen.
But you can still use the old scrolling bar.
What do you think? Will you use the new layout or stick to the scrolling troop bar?
Next info will be tomorrow, so we have all day long to discuss this in the comments 😉
Stone Slammer – New Siege Machine (December 6th, 2018)
Well after what we’ve seen from previous footage it’s not the biggest surprise that we get a new Siege Machine, but now we have some details about it.
It’s called the Stone Slammer and is basically a huge Balloon that targets defenses (not the Town Hall primarily) and drops rocks while transporting Clan Castle troops.
In addition, it will also do heavy damage on walls as you can see below, making it a great addition to ground attacks as well.
I think this one will become extremely helpful to take down certain defenses and a great support by tanking a lot of damage as well.
The next preview will be on Saturday but maybe we can find some more info in the new videos today – I’ll keep you updated 🙂
Sneak Peek Tomorrow (December 5th, 2018)
Ok, the “On Thursday, get ready to ROCK” was not the announcement of the release date. We won’t see a Sneak Peek today buto tomorrow there will be more.
In the meantime let me leak you a new Siege Machine:
New Troop & Giga Tesla Level 6 (December 4th, 2018)
The nice thing about the videos that are released along with the Sneak Peeks is that there are always leaks for the next Sneak Peeks.
Also there will be a new Level for the Giga Tesla at Town Hall 12:
Release on Thursday or not? (December 4th, 2018)
The last sentence in Sneak Peek #2 is a little bit confusing:
Normally I’d say that this means that we will see the update on Thursday, but this would mean the December Update would be rather small.
So, there are two options if you ask me:
- Tomorrow we see the details to the announced balancing changes for the December Update and the update ill be indeed on Thursday
- We will not see any Sneak Peek tomorrow and the next Sneak Peek will be on Thursday and has something to do with rocks (spelled in capitals, would be Darians kind of humor)
I really hope the update will be more than just the new spell and the new magical items, but the last update is not that long ago and was very huge with the Clan War Leagues so chances are 50:50 I guess…
Bat Spell(December 4th, 2018)
We get a new spell in the December Update, the Bat Spell. It works pretty much like the Skeleton Spell but the bats fly.
You can unlock it at Town Hall 10 and spawn up to 27 bats when upgraded to Level 5.
Now many here might think that this spell is probably useless since the Skeleton Spell never made it into the meta of the game since it has been introduced one and a half years ago. The bats might be very useful to distract defenses that will target air units and also they ignore walls.
Looking forward to try them out for sure 🙂
Brawl Stars Obstacle (December 3rd, 2018)
Not directly related to the December Update, but with the global release of the latest Supercell game, Brawl Stars, on December 12th we will also see a special obstacle as well in Clash of Clans:
2 New Magical Items (December 3rd, 2018)
We will get 2 new magical items like announced earlier, and I really like them!
Will add +5 level to your heroes for 1 hour (max level is the max level for your Town Hall)
Shovel of Obstacles
This one can give you the opportunity to move a obstacle in your base, like a Christmas Tree or other seasonal obstacle – how long did we wait for this?! I’m really happy about it, especially as the witch hat from this years Halloween Event was placed pretty bad in my base…
Changes to Magical Items stock (November 22nd, 2018)
Darian just announced in the official forum that with the December Update you won’t be able to stack magical items beyond their limit via events.
I’m not sure if this will also count for value pack purchases as he specifically mentioned events only (and most offers only make sense with multiple books).
Reddit AMA with Darian (November 20th, 2018)
Yesterday Darian hopped on a quick AMA (as me anything) post in Reddit and gave a lot of info about the upcoming update and also Builder Base and Clouds in 2019.
I have here the important info wrapped up for you, divided in news regarding the December Update and the upcoming updates in 2019:
- The December Update will be for Main Village, including some balancing changes
- first update teasers should go out “next week or so”
- Siege Machines will get “some new love” (might be balancing or maybe a new Siege machine?)
- we get seasonal troops and events like the last years
- new Magical Items
- more to come that has not been specified explicitly
- A fix for clouds in Legend League in the first half year of 2019
- Builder Hall 9 release in the first half year of 2019
- Planning to add new gameplay to the Builder Base as well as clan involvement
- Supercell is planning ahead for TH13, TH14+; however they’re not sure if there will be new Town Hall level every year but it sounds a lot like we will see TH13 in 2019
- New Goblin maps have been just the start, there are plans to release more maps in 2019
- Clan War Leagues will get a fixed schedule
- …and very likely a lot more
So what I took out of this is that the December Update will not be a huge game changer but include quite a lot of stuff and the big updates rolling in the first half of 2019.
The thread is quite long, but if you want to read the full conversation you can do here.
Christmas Tree 2018 Leaked (November 17th, 2018)
With every December Update we also get a Christmas Tree as a seasonal obstacle – if you want to know how it will look like there’s good news. The tree has already been leaked:
A nice way to start of this new update ticker if you ask me 🙂