Which troops are the best for defense in a Clan War Clan Castle? That’s a very common question and there are many different opinions. I will show you in this dedicated post which Troops work best in your Clan War Castle for defending your base during Clan War.
Attention! I have reworked this guide for 2018 by presenting you different combinations. If you have good setups I have not here, please post them in the comments and I will consider adding them here as well 🙂
The difference between defending Clan Castle troops in Clan War & Multiplayer
You might be thinking why a dedicated post for defending Troops in Clan War is necessary.
There are some circumstances in Clan War that require variations in order to have the best Troops in the War Castle:
- Lack of surprise – your enemy will know after 2-3 replays what’s inside your Clan Castle without having to make a first attack
- Your enemy is better prepared for the attack in general (we don’t want that!)
The taste of surprise in Clan War
I personally see a huge difference – and also disadvantage – in Clan War. Your enemy knows what’s coming out of the Clan Castle because he only has to watch replays of the base being attacked by his other clanmates.
My advice is to avoid filling all Clan Castles with more or less the same setup. Bring in some surprises by filling the War Castles with different combinations of Troops you find below.
Imagine an attacker hitting base #10 and has just seen that base #9 had Wizards in the Clan Castle, but you have put a Dragon in #10. I think you get my point, right?
With all the troops available, there are endless possibilities to combine them, but the right approach is always combining them right against the setup your base will have to defend.
A good defensive CC setup will always consist of:
- A base troop (with much housing space)
- Variety troops (to make it hard to counter one troop kind)
- Fill troops (to use all the housing space in your Clan Castle available)
Here are the ground rules you should always keep in mind when requesting troops:
NEVER only have one single kind of troops in your Clan Castle! This will make it a lot easier to take them out, especially when the attacker is prepared.
Prevent having many low-hitpoint troops like Archers, Minions etc. – most attackers carry a Poison Spell and wipe them out easily. They are a great support and fill troop, but no more.
It’s not all about the damage! Golems & Lava Hounds deal no damage but keep a Queen busy or deal additional damage when getting destroyed.
Mix air & ground to make it harder for the attacker to deal with your defending troops 🙂
Best Troops To Choose
Now I want to show you the useful troops that you can use for the three categories I showed above.
Good base troops are
- Lava Hound
because they are not really affected by a Poison Spell and the Pups confuse the Queen during a Queen Charge and the Golem deals the same damage as a Giant Bomb when it gets destroyed. Time is always a big enemy of your attacker and they will keep his troops busy for some time 🙂
I don’t recommend using Giants (they will suffer more damage from a Poison Spell & any splash damage) or PEKKA (the hit speed is so slow, she gets killed before ealing damage 3 times)
The best options here are troops that deal ranged damage. I prefer
- Witches (because the Skeletons keep attacking troops busy)
- Bowlers as they also can hit troops behind tanks
You can take multiple of them in your CC with great results.
Here are troops that you should only have one single of inside your CC:
- Baby Dragon with the splash damage and raged when no other air troop is in the CC
- Valkyrie because when she hits it deals amazing damage
- Balloon (so slow and predictable that a group of them always goes down in Poison Spell)
Miners or Hog Rider are no good choice in your Clan Castle from my experience.
Now you probably have some housing space left that you should fill, I recommend using:
Barbarians are too slow and die off too fast and Goblins are so fast they will reach the target first and get killed without dealing any damage at all.
Best Clan Castle Troop for Clan War
If you stick to the list above, you can combine the troops as you like and should get a deadly defending combo.
Still, I’d like to show you some setups now that you can choose from.
Best defending Clan Castle Troops for 15 Housing Space
15 Housing Space does not offer a lot of space for creativity, so here is the best combo to put in the War Castles of your lower players:
- 1 Baby Dragon & Fill up with Wizards, Archers: The Baby Dargon should be maxed level and will enrage himself because no other air troops are around – this means you just have a full Dragon in your Clan Castle plus some additional troops. I don’t think your opponent will expect that.
The nice thing is that not a many players attacking these bases in Clan War have the Poison Spell yet, so Archers and Wizards are quite a big crew to take out with a Lightning Spell.
War Castle Troops for 20 Housing Space
Let’s have a look at my suggestions. 1 Dragon is not the best option in my opinion, but if there are 1 or 2 of those Clan Castles with a Dragon it will add some nice variety to keep the attacker guessing:
- 1 Dragon: This will surprise some attackers expecting other Troops from other attacks in that region on the War Map. It’s expensive, but hard to take down in lower Town Halls.
- Best! 1 Baby Dragon, 2 Wizards and 2 Archers: Like mentioned above the Baby Dragon is a beast as defending Clan Castle troop and will be deadly to attacking Heroes (also because it’s splash damage harms the Archer Queen even when her Royal Cloak is activated)
- 1 Witch and 2 Wizards (maxed): Also here you’ll probably see no Poison Spells and most players in this region don’t know how to fight against a Witch. This will give them maybe a couple of seconds to make a bad decision and drop some of their Wizards.
- 2 Valkyries and 1 Wizard: The Valkyries deal major area damage (especially if someone chooses to attack with Giants) and, while they also tank quite nice, the Wizards have a lot time to deal their deadly damage.
Clan Castle Troops for 25 Housing Space
This is the region where people still tend to use troops that are very vulnerable against air troops. I’ve seen the best results in our Clan Wars with these combinations:
- 1 Dragon, 1 Wizard (maxed) and 1 Archer: This will deal a lot of area damage and maybe someone thought to bring Balloons or Hog Riders. In this case, you just saved your Clan some Stars.
- 1 Baby Dragon, 1 Witch & 3 Archers: Does cause a lot of trouble and is one of my favorite combinations for TH8
- 1 Baby Dragon, 1 Valkyrie, 1 Wizard and 3 Archers: Like mentioned above the Baby Dragon is a beast as defending Clan Castle troop and will be deadly to attacking Heroes (also because it’s splash damage harms the Archer Queen even when her Royal Cloak is activated)
- 3 Balloons (maxed), 2 Wizards (maxed) and 1 Archer: The Balloons work like a charm unless someone is attacking with Dragons. You should only use this combo when your base is strong against Dragons (have your Air Defenses deep inside the core, etc.).
- 1 Witch, 3 Wizards (maxed) and 1 Archer: The Witch will hold the attacking Troops with all the Skeletons while the Wizards deal a lot of damage. The nice thing is they all have range damage so they can hide behind Walls.
Clan War defending Troops for 30 Housing Space
No big surprise for the last two Clan Castle upgrade levels here. There are actually only 3 working combinations so far, but when you mix them around in your Clan Castles your enemies will really have a hard time because they will not know what’s in a Clan Castle without having at least 1 attack on that base.
- 1 Lava Hound to slow down the Archer Queen
- Best! 1 Baby Dragon, 2 Valkyrie and 1 Wizard: Like mentioned above the Baby Dragon is a beast as defending Clan Castle troop and will be deadly to attacking Heroes (also because it’s splash damage harms the Archer Queen even when her Royal Cloak is activated)
- 1 Golem: Slows down the attacker and keep him busy for a longer time
- 1 Witch, 4 Wizards (maxed) and 2 Archers
- 1 Dragon, 2 Wizards and 2 Archers: This is quite ugly to play against if it comes out as a surprise because if someone uses Golems they actually want the Wizards to make the funnel and not also have to deal with that Dragon tearing on the Golems.
- 3 Bowlers and fill up with Archers/Wizards: This combination is very effective, because the Bowlers have some hitpoints and their strikes also hit second-row troops. You will often see attackers with strong tank troops in the first row and the Bowler strikes will also hit their damage dealing troops behind.
Defending Clan Castle Troops for 35 Housing Space
This is pretty much the same like we had with the Clan Castle Level 5. I still see people putting Lava Hounds in there – please stop because this is not holding attacking Troops back in any case. When someone is attacking a base with a maxed Clan Castle you can be sure there’s so much DPS involved that the Lava Hound is simply wasted. It’s better to use these combos:
- 1 Baby Dragon, 2 Witches & 1 Archer: The Baby Dragon will deal splash damage from the air while Skeletons will keep the troops busy. This wil a very nasty setup to deal with.
- 1 Baby Dragon, 3 Valkyrie and 1 Archers: Like mentioned above the Baby Dragon is a beast as defending Clan Castle troop and will be deadly to attacking Heroes (also because it’s splash damage harms the Archer Queen even when her Royal Cloak is activated)
- 1 Golem, 1 Wizard, 1 Archer: A good way to slow down attacker because the Golem will make them take long time
- 1 Lava Hound & 1 Balloon: Also slows down the attacker and the Lava Pups will keep them also busy for quite some time
- 1 Dragon, 3 Wizards (maxed) and 3 Archers:This is quite ugly to play against if it comes out as a surprise because if someone uses Golems they actually want the Wizards to make the funnel and not also have to deal with that Dragon tearing on the Golems.
- 2 Witches, 2 Wizards (maxed) and 3 Archers
- 4 Bowlers and fill with Archers: When you have a maxed Clan Castle you won’t see a lot of air attacks against your base. Bowlers work great against the current attacking setups because they will also hit damage dealing troops behind the tank line of troops.
Wrapping it up
You see there are different combinations to use and mixing them up will really help you. You will save yourself some Stars and make your attacker use more troops than originally planned.