Which troops are the best for defense in a Clan War Clan Castle? That’s a very common question and there are many different opinions. I will show you in this dedicated post which Troops work best in your Clan War Castle for defending your base during Clan War.
Update! I have updated this guide with the Summer 2019 Update just now + I also rebuild the section to more fit the Town Hall specific characteristics
The difference between defending Clan Castle troops in Clan War & Multiplayer
You might be thinking why a dedicated post for defending Troops in Clan War is necessary.
There are some circumstances in Clan War that require variations in order to have the best Troops in the War Castle:
- Lack of surprise – your enemy will know after 2-3 replays what’s inside your Clan Castle without having to make a first attack
- Your enemy is better prepared for the attack in general (we don’t want that!)
The taste of surprise in Clan War
I personally see a huge difference – and also disadvantage – in Clan War. Your enemy knows what’s coming out of the Clan Castle because he only has to watch replays of the base being attacked by his other clanmates.
My advice is to avoid filling all Clan Castles with more or less the same setup. Bring in some surprises by filling the War Castles with different combinations of Troops you find below.
Imagine an attacker hitting base #10 and has just seen that base #9 had Wizards in the Clan Castle, but you have put a Dragon in #10. I think you get my point, right?
With all the troops available, there are endless possibilities to combine them, but the right approach is always combining them right against the setup your base will have to defend.
A good defensive CC setup will always consist of:
- A base troop (with much housing space)
- Variety troops (to make it hard to counter one troop kind)
- Fill troops (to use all the housing space in your Clan Castle available)
Here are the ground rules you should always keep in mind when requesting troops:
NEVER only have one single kind of troops in your Clan Castle! This will make it a lot easier to take them out, especially when the attacker is prepared.
Prevent having many low-hitpoint troops like Archers, Minions etc. – most attackers carry a Poison Spell and wipe them out easily. They are a great support and fill troop, but no more.
It’s not all about the damage! Golems & Lava Hounds deal no damage but keep a Queen busy or deal additional damage when getting destroyed.
Mix air & ground to make it harder for the attacker to deal with your defending troops 🙂
Best Troops To Choose
Now I want to show you the useful troops that you can use for the three categories I showed above.
Good base troops are
- Lava Hound
- Electric Dragon!
because they are not really affected by a Poison Spell and the Pups confuse the Queen during a Queen Charge and the Golem deals the same damage as a Giant Bomb when it gets destroyed. Time is always a big enemy of your attacker and they will keep his troops busy for some time 🙂
I don’t recommend using Giants (they will suffer more damage from a Poison Spell & any splash damage) or PEKKA (the hit speed is so slow, she gets killed before dealing damage 3 times)
Electro Dragons are a great defending troop, as it can charge its strong lightning attack until attacking troops will target it – and the damage can take away a lot of hitpoints, even from a maxed Hero! Even after dying, the death lightning will deal great damage to the attacking troops 🙂
The best options here are troops that deal ranged damage. I prefer
- Witches (because the Skeletons keep attacking troops busy)
- Bowlers as they also can hit troops behind tanks
You can take multiple of them in your CC with great results.
Here are troops that you should only have one single of inside your CC:
- Baby Dragon with the splash damage and raged when no other air troop is in the CC
- Valkyrie because when she hits it deals amazing damage
- Balloon (so slow and predictable that a group of them always goes down in Poison Spell)
Miners or Hog Rider are no good choice in your Clan Castle from my experience.
Now you probably have some housing space left that you should fill, I recommend using:
- Minions (if you do NOT have a Baby Dragon to not remove the raged bonus)
Barbarians are too slow and die off too fast and Goblins are so fast they will reach the target first and get killed without dealing any damage at all.
Best Clan Castle Troop for Clan War
If you stick to the list above, you can combine the troops as you like and should get a deadly defending combo.
Still, I’d like to show you some setups now that you can choose from.
Town Hall 8 (25 Housing Space)
At Town Hall 8 (and also lower), you want to focus more on damage dealing troops in your Clan Castle for the simple reason that they deal more damage when looking at the stats of troops of the same Town Hall.
Also, tanking troops tend to work great against Queen Charges but at TH8 and lower there’s no Archer Queen involved so rather stick to the damage 🙂
I’ve seen the best results in our Clan Wars with these combinations:
- 1 Baby Dragon, 1 Valkyrie, 1 Wizard and 3 Archers (my favorite): The Baby Dragon deals a lot of damage (and can even ruin a Hog Rider attack) and the Valkyrie is also nasty to deal with and cause a lot of trouble and damage to attacking troops.
- 1 Baby Dragon, 1 Witch & 3 Archers: Does cause a lot of trouble and is one of my favorite combinations for TH8
- 1 Dragon, 1 Wizard (maxed) and 1 Archer: This will deal a lot of area damage and maybe someone thought to bring Balloons or Hog Riders. In this case, you just saved your Clan some Stars.
- 3 Balloons (maxed), 2 Wizards (maxed) and 1 Archer: The Balloons work like a charm unless someone is attacking with Dragons. You should only use this combo when your base is strong against Dragons (have your Air Defenses deep inside the core, etc.).
- 1 Witch, 3 Wizards (maxed) and 1 Archer: The Witch will hold the attacking Troops with all the Skeletons while the Wizards deal a lot of damage. The nice thing is they all have range damage so they can hide behind Walls.
Town Hall 9 (30 Housing Space)
Here’s where the Archer Queen is starting to play a bigger role in your preparation when it comes to your defending Clan Castle troops.
When it comes to Clan War your job at Town Hall 9 is defending the first attack to not get 3-Stared here, this will cost the enemy clan an additional atttack and help you win.
Here’s my recommendation
- 1 Lava Hound (my favorite normally) to slow down the Archer Queen, a nice surprise for the first attack and will always cause trouble at some point to the attacker
- 3 Valkyries, 1 Wizards & 2 Archer (if you have problems with Witches): if your base will constantly wrecked by Witch attacks this is the setup you want to have in your Clan Castle to shut down those attacks and make them a lot harder.
- 1 Electro Dragon: Can be a pain to deal with but I still prefer one of the above, useful to bring a little surprise into your defensive setup if all other TH9s have Lava Hounds in the CC
- 1 Baby Dragon, 2 Valkyrie and 1 Wizard: Also a nice combination to give attackers some trouble, especially if they attack with Hog Riders
- 1 Golem: If your clan has troubles donating Lava Hounds you can think about it, otherwise the Lava Hounds is a lot more effective
Town Hall 10 & Town Hall 11 (35 Housing Space)
Here’s where thing get more complex and it’s not about dealing damage anymore but rather messing with an opponents army or attacking strategy.
This is pretty much the same like we had with the Clan Castle Level 5. I still see people putting Lava Hounds in there – please stop because this is not holding attacking Troops back in any case. When someone is attacking a base with a maxed Clan Castle you can be sure there’s so much DPS involved that the Lava Hound is simply wasted. It’s better to use these combos:
- 1 Ice Golem & 1 Dragon (my favorite): a great combination for two reasons – the Ice Golem will be really annoying for Queen Charges that normally need to pull the cc or kill squads when getting frozen for a really long time. The Dragon is great against attacking combinations that use the Bat Spell so a great balanced combination.
- 1 Baby Dragon, 2 Witches & 1 Archer: This one can be also messy to deal with but it’s not my favorite because Witches are too vulnerable to Poison Spells. Still, ground attacks will have to deal with it in a way where things can get chaotic and might make a mistake here.
- 1 Lava Hound & 1 Balloon: It’s the former all-time classic and the Lava Hound will keep the Queen busy for quite some time and this is always worth using it here and there.
- 1 Electro Dragon, 1 Wizard, 1 Archer: The Electro Dragon is a very might defensive unit that will harm attacking troops with the chain lightning plus the death lightning – still the others are more powerful if you ask me.
Town Hall 12 (40 Housing Space)
Here’s where keeping attacking troops busy is getting even more important because your defenses deal such massive damage that every second they are dealing damage will make your attacker suffer a lot more than a little extra DPS added.
- 2 Ice Golem & 1 Baby Dragon (my favorite): I love this combination because you have double the trouble from the Ice Golem, especially as Queen Charges are part of 90% of all attacks, that can break an attack more often and are a huge threat to the attacker. The Baby Dragon is fast and can add some more spice here or deal with any kind of air troops.
- 1 Ice Golem, 2 Witches & 1 Archer: another good combination that will mess up with any kind of ground attacks and also hero charges into the base with all the Skeletons paired with a freeze
- 1 Ice Golem, 1 Dragon & 1 Balloon: I also like this combination because you have the Ice Golem and the Dragon plus the Balloon that could add some crazy damage to a frozen section of attacking troops.
- 1 Lava Hound & 2 Balloons: This used to be the best one but with the ice Golem you can keep the enemy Queen frozen and might even get the healers frozen so only use this rarely to surprise enemies.
Wrapping it up
You see there are different combinations to use and mixing them up will really help you. You will save yourself some Stars and make your attacker use more troops than originally planned.