It’s getting about time that the first Clash of Clans Update in 2018 is heading towards us and I actually think we will see a real content update in March 2018 (might also be a smaller one)
In this FREQUENTLY UPDATED article, I will put up all important things (rumors, my opinion and of course official statements) together to give you guys a good overview what’s coming in the first update 2018 – especially those of you who don’t spend hours in the official forum and Reddit.
Clash of Clans March 2018 Update
Please note, the order is from the bottom (old) to top (most recent). If you’re visiting this page for the first time and want to get the whole story, you’ll need to start from the bottom.
You can also keep up to date with all update-related news from AllClash here by signing up for our free weekly newsletter:
New updates always bring a lot of fresh stuff, so if you want to know more about how you can get free Gems, pelase check out my guide here:
March Update Info (February 20th, 2018)
The March Update will become a solid update in terms of content & quality of life things when taking all the stuff Darian mentioned over on Reddit yesterday:
- Builder Hall 8
- Balancing for Builder Base & Home Village
- Inferno Towers nerf (Single Mode) & buff (Multi Mode)
- Sneaky Archers ability
- much more
- New troop levels in Builder Base & Home Village
- New Clan Games challenges
- New Magical Items (one of them related to walls)
- maybe some “War Tools” (did not said anything more detailed to it, I assume it’s for organizing the wars better)
- Traveling character who brings interesting goodies (also, no more details said by him)
Yesterday, I was doing my best to keep the main things updated but I also promised you that I will share more detailed thoughts on this today.
First of all, sounds like an update we all can be ok with as the first update in a new year is never a really big one in Clash of Clans.
The only thing I’m disappointed about is that neither clouding nor matchmaking will get the long-hoped fixes. Darian said that matchmaking will hopefully see the world before summer and clouding is, due to it’s technical complexity, something they will look at after they dropped “their really massive content update mid of the year”.
Regarding the update I think that new challenges & magical items were something that they said will bring often enough to not be that surprised plus new troop levels are a every-update-thing.
I’m more curious about the mentioned “war tools” – I assume they want to help clans organize their wars to not have to use tools like ClashTrack – however, I doubt they can fully compensate all the features within the game. Making war management easier inside the game, however, is something that should have been done a long time ago so let’s see what Supercell came up with.
The thing about the “traveller that brings interesting goodies” is something I have mixed feeling about. When we look at the fact that Supercell will never ever allow us to trade resources, what purpose & goodies could that traveler serve us for? My first guess would be that he comes from time to time and sells magical items for either resources or gems like the shop in Clash Royale – but I can be totally wrong or maybe also Darian just dropped a little joke on us as he didn’t mention anything more about that. We will find out in the next weeks…
Here’s by the way an index of all his original answers on Reddit (the full AMA is insanely long)
I also put everything regarding the whole 2018 update roadmap together here:
AMA with Darian on Reddit (February 19th, 2018)
Darina is doing is Ask Me Anything thread over on Reddit right now and I wrap(ped) you up the most important stuff here.
I will just put the bullet points here first as I know some of you guys are extremely hyped to read it as fast as possible (will rework it with my opinion when the AMA ended):
- Builder Hall 8 & More fresh content will get released in March 2018
- Mass Sneaky Archer will find an end in BB as they will rework the ability (yeah!)
- Beyond BH8, there is nothing planned for the Builder Base so far, so all the other work will go toward the Home Village the in coming months
- Clan Games will become less frequent in March
- New troop in some kind in 2018, not specifically said a new troop but he said they “recognize [the wish for a new troop and] that and will hopefully remedy that situation”
- Inferno Towers will get some balancing in the March 2018 Update:
- Multi Inferno get a buff
- Single Inferno a nerf
- They want to bring their solution for the current matchmaking with engineering in the first half of the year,not in the March 2018 Update
- Engineering might become a big disadvantage (“I can’t go into details yet as to what the feature is or how it’ll work. But let’s just say this…Engineers will still be able to engineer, but in this new feature they’ll be at a huge disadvantage. That’s all I can say about it at this time.”) I assume he doesn’t mean that engineered bases will become useless, but rather trying to engineer the base will put people at a disadvantage – probably like missing new game content etc. as being forced to max out. I’m really curious about this one…
- Clouding will get addressed later this year as it requires a big overhaul on how the whole game is built – after the “big home village content update mid of 2018”
- More Magic Items coming in the next update (also one that has to do with walls)
- He answered the question what else is coming in the next update with:
- Some balance changes to both BH and Main Village, new troop levels in the BH, some new troop levels in the MV, more buildings for BH, a traveling character who brings you interesting goodies, and hopefully some Clan War tools.
- BH8 release – Some balance changes, some new troops levels, some wall upgrades for TH11, some war tools, some new magic items, some new Clan Games challenges
Here’s the full thread.
Loot Bonanza Event (February 14th, 2018)
We’re heading towards some crazy days in Clash of Clans! Tomorrow the insane Lunar Games (read about it here) will start that will feature the Book of Everything for the first time ever plus 5 days where we get 2x the Clan War Reward & 4x Star Bonus.
Hopefully Supercell adds enough dead bases so the clouding will be at least a little bit ok during that time.
Update Marathon Ahead (February 9th, 2018)
Are we looking toward a couple of content updates in the next months? According to Darian we do:
Well the first thing he’s confirming is that there will be a big change to the war matchmaking – this time hopefully for good. What he’s also saying is that there will be a couple of content updates in the first half year where we have like 4 and a half months left. Hurray!
1 Gem Boost & Obstacle Spawn Rate (February 6th, 2018)
Today we got a surprising 1 Gem Resource Boost Event for the next 8 days, so do not miss the chance to get a lot of extra resources for little Gems!
Also many people are reporting that they did not get a seasonal obstacle (Money Tree or Fireworks) yet – me included. There are many saying that they seem to spawn a lot more in inactive bases, but nothing has been confirmed by Supercell so far.
By the way, here are some good base designs you might want to use to spawn the seasonal obstacles on the outside ring of your base:
Darian Interview (February 4th, 2018)
This weekend, Darian (Supercell Community Manager for Clash of Clans) got interviewed in the Spring Trap Show and was giving a lo t of interesting insights where the game is heading in 2018 and I really recommend to watch it.
If you’re not into watching the whole interview (what I really recommend to do!), here’s a reddit post that will wrap all the answers up.
Chinese New Year Event Update (February 1st, 2018)
Today the Lunar New Year Update is live and you can get it in the AppStore and Google Play and it will let the Money Tree and the Fireworks spawn in your Home Village.
Here are seasonal obstacles:
Also, the real festive day is the February 16th, so we can prepare for some special events coming to use there as well 🙂
In addition there’s full support for the iPhone X included.
Full iPhone X Support (January 31st, 2018)
Many have been asking for full iPhone X support (well, not that “many” when considering that probably 0.01% of all players own an iPhone X…) and now Supercell Support stated that there will be full support (not the compatibility mode) in the next update:
Chinese New Year Event Leaks (January 27th, 2018)
Through the chinese Twitter account from Clash of Clans, a new loading screen has been leaked and it points toward the next update as well:
As you can see, it celebrates Chinese New Year, which is February 16th – 18th and it makes perfectly sense that with the rise in the chinese market, Supercell also starts making events away from the “western” events like Christmas & Halloween.
The picture itself is pretty professional, so I don’t think it’s a fake and it would fit pretty well into the updating schedule.
In addition, there are also two special decorations coming along with this:
As these are from a early developer version of the game, the price & amount available is just a placeholder & I can’t tell you if it will be a seasonal or a permanent obstacle but I personally like the fact that we get more annual events 🙂
BH8, Endgame Content, TH12, What’s Coming 2018 (January 24th, 2018)
I know you might now roll your eyes but I think I want to give you a brief overview of some interesting things that will show us where we’re heading.
Builder Hall 8
Many here, including myself, have expected that we will see Builder Hall 8 becoming available in Q1 2018 as it is finished and maxing out BH7 is by now possible if you are F2P – but Darian denied that they plan to roll it out before April 2018!
What I can read here is that Supercell doesn’t sound like they will add much of Builder Base stuff in the near future and just use it as a gap-filler. In addition, it looks like not that many F2P player actually play Builder Base anymore, as with F2P it is possible to become maxed BH7 by now (well, except walls).
Town Hall 12
I know many think that Town Hall 12 is a sure thing, but in fact I wouldn’t be that sure about it, at least until end of 2018 – and Darian confirmed that.
So, those of you who saw a clickbait video on YouTube, don’t get too hyped – TH12 was not confirmed at any point in the past.
What’s coming 2018?
Well, I understand that this answer will be like that I could swear I have heard this a lot of times before, but it sounds that Supercell’s plans for Clash of Clans are huge this year:
Sounds nice and I personally believe that since Darian is the Community Manager, we have seen a huge improvement to the state we had before in terms of communication. Away from that I’m realistic and think we have some quality of life stuff at top priority right now (matchmaking, clouds…) as well as a refactoring of the league system in general and much more on the list.
I’m looking forward to a new year with this great game 🙂