It’s getting about time that the first Clash of Clans Update in 2018 is heading towards us and I actually think we will see a real content update in March 2018 (might also be a smaller one)
In this FREQUENTLY UPDATED article, I will put up all important things (rumors, my opinion and of course official statements) together to give you guys a good overview what’s coming in the first update 2018 – especially those of you who don’t spend hours in the official forum and Reddit.
Clash of Clans March 2018 Update
Please note, the order is from the bottom (old) to top (most recent). If you’re visiting this page for the first time and want to get the whole story, you’ll need to start from the bottom.
You can also keep up to date with all update-related news from AllClash here by signing up for our free weekly newsletter:
New updates always bring a lot of fresh stuff, so if you want to know more about how you can get free Gems, please check out my guide here:
SupercellID Bug & Update problem (March 5th, 2018)
There is a problem when trying to switch accounts with SupercellID with the new update – however, you can solve this pretty easily:
- Supercell ID not working – close all apps that you have running in the background. Restart Clash, Supercell ID should work at this point. We’re looking into this!
The other one is the every-update-again issue with installing the latest version:
- Update not visible in App stores – go to App Stores > Updates > Swipe Down the page, this should “force” the update to be visible
If this doesn’t solve it, please check here for more solutions:
UPDATE STARTING SOON (March 5th, 2018)
The Maintenance Break for the Update will start soon 🙂
UPDATE TODAY! Builder Hall 8 goes live! Maintenance will start as soon as possible 👌 pic.twitter.com/H5unSVXUe3
— Clash of Clans (@ClashofClans) March 5, 2018
By the way, here’s the new loading screen without the snow theme:
Update Livestream (March 3rd, 2018)
Looks like we got all the Sneak Peeks and the War Tools haven’t made it into the update – tomorrow there will be an Update Livestream showing the new stuff, especially Builder Hall 8, and very likely the Update will be released on Monday.
Here’s the link to the livestream:
Sneak Peek #3 – Builder Hall 8 (March 2nd, 2018)
The announcement of Builder Hall 8 shouldn’t be a surprise, on one hand it was already confirmed in the Reddit AMA two weeks ago plus BH8 was over the net since the release of Builder Hall in May 2017 as it was already in the game files.
Along with the new Builder Hall, there’s also a new defense and a new troop available:
- Mega Tesla
- Super PEKKA
Here are more details about Builder Hall 8:
+1 Elixir Pump
+1 Gold Mine
+1 Double Cannon
+1 Army Camp
+1 Hidden Tesla
+1 MEGA TESLA (NEW)
+2 Spring Traps
+1 Push Trap
+1 Giant Bomb
+2 Additional levels for all troops (up to level 16)
Access to…SUPER P.E.K.K.A. (NEW)
+5 additional levels
Builder Base Balance Changes:
Builder Base Versus Battle rewards now increase up until 5000 trophies
Sneaky Archer: Level 12 Cloak ability duration is reduced from 10 seconds to 8 seconds.
Drop Ship: HP has been increased by 10% across all levels.
Additional Home Village Content:
You can now upgrade a single Mortar in your Home Village to a Multi-mortar defensive building, starting at TH10.
Let’s start with the Mega Tesla, a new defensive building for your Builder Base. So what sets the Mega Tesla apart from its not-so-Mega cousins? Take a look!
Build Time: 24hrs
Range: 7 tiles
Targets: Ground and Air
Favorite Target: Any
Damage Type: Chain Lightning
So what is Chain Lightning? The Mega Tesla’s damage will hit the first target up to 7 tiles away, and then will arc to the next closest target up to 3 tiles away and deal damage to it as well. Shocking!
They share the damage it deals per level in the full patch notes on release day!
She’s big, bad, beautiful, and goes BOOM! The new Super P.E.K.K.A. troop differs from her Home Village counterpart in one distinct way. So let’s take a look at her base level stats when you unlock Builder Base 8.
Units per Army Camp: 1
Spring Weight: 25
Movement Speed: 16
Favorite Target: Any
Damage Type: Single Target
Special Ability: Overcharge
When the Super P.E.K.K.A. receives fatal damage, she does one final explosive attack called “Overcharge”. At level 1, her Overcharge deals 400 damage. And her Overcharge ability gets stronger as her level increases. That’s a lot of boom.
This is going to get interesting how the meta at BH8 will develop around this – the Super PEKKA will be an exloding tank but the Mega Tesla can take her down very fast. Hard to tell if this will force, along with the Giant Cannon, attackers to adapt to more mass troop attacking strategies as the Mega Tesla will also hit multiple targets with the chain lightning.
Also it seems like Supercell has some more info for us, I’m still hoping for the War Tools Darian mentioned in the AMA on Reddit but said that he isn’t sure if they make it into the game for the March Update.
What do you think?
Sneak Peek #2 – The Trader & Balancing Changes (March 1st, 2018)
The Trader is coming and it looks like it will be some sort of shop where we can get magical items.
“The Trader is a traveling merchant who, starting at Town Hall 8, will frequent your Village to peddle his exotic wares. Setting shop on the other side of the Clan path, across from the Clan Games carriage, the Trader will have 3 special deals for you each day. Perhaps you’d like to acquire a Magic Item or other rare and unusual novelties? The Trader may just have what you’re looking for!”
This is how he will appear in your village:
So, basically the Trader will offer you magical items for Gems every day:
I know many of you guys would have hoped to trade one resource into another or maybe even get magical items for resources, but I think the deals in the shop are still cheaper than buying the stuff for gems. Anyway, I’m not too surprised after having seen how Supercell handles the shop in Clash Royale, but there you can buy cards in the shop for Gold as well!
I really hope Supercell will make this happen in the future as well.
Now let’s talk some balancing!
Here are some infos to the new balancing of the Home Village:
- TH11 Walls: Increased the number of wall pieces that can be upgraded to max level to 300 (was 125)
- Wizard Tower: Decreased level 9 Wizard Tower damage from 56 to 54
- Inferno Tower
- Multi-mode damage changes:
- Level 3: 42 to 45
- Level 4: 50 to 53
- Level 5: 58 to 63
- Single-mode damage changes:
- Damage has been balanced to increase the time it takes to reach max damage, from 4.25 seconds to 5.25 seconds.
- Multi-mode damage changes:
- Level 4 is now available at Town Hall 9 instead of Town Hall 10.
- Level 6 is now available at Town Hall 10 instead of Town Hall 11
- Costs 8.5 million Elixir instead of 10 million.
- Level 7 is available at Town Hall 11 – Upgrade times have been adjusted/reduced so the Level 7 upgrade is now 14 days.
- Additional Trap levels added
- Skeleton Trap level 4
- Giant Bomb level 5
- Bomb level 7
- Air Bomb level 5
Here’s how the new traps will look like:
Interesting balancing changes here, I thought the Inferno Tower Multi-Mode would get a far bigger buff and the nerf of the Single Mode wouldn’t be that big. I liked the standing it got after the December Update with the SIngle Mode could really destroy Queen Walks easily – buut the second more charging time probably doesn’t change that much here.
Rune Leaked (March 1st, 2018)
Nothing big, but the Japanese Twitter account from Clash of Clans just posted a picture how the Runes will look inside your Clan Castle – in this case, the Rune of Builder Base Gold:
— クラッシュ・オブ・クラン【公式】 (@ClashofClansJP) March 1, 2018
Looking pretty nice in my opinion, I have a feeling this update will become a good one 🙂
Sneak Peek #1: New Magic Items & Challenges (February 28th, 2018)
We just got first official details regarding the new magical items & challenges we will see in the March 2018 Update that will” likely coming very soon”.
I highlighted you the details that are not inside the news section notification 🙂
- Win 3 Stars against a specific Town Hall level in Multiplayer Battles
- Earn 5 Stars in Multiplayer Battles against opponents in Titan League
- Get Stars from a Town Hall higher level than your own
- Get Stars without using any Spells
- Get Stars without using any Heroes
- Earn 3 Stars from a Clan War battle
- Knock out a number of level points of a specific Hero
- Earn 5 Stars in Versus Battles using Super P.E.K.K.A.
- Destroy a number of Mega Teslas in Versus Battles
- that’s just a few, a lot more coming as well 🙂
I really like how challenges of these kind will add more fun to the game and hopefully the rewards will get adjusted accordingly so it’s not just “fun” but also “challenging” and worth doing these attacks (e.g. no spells or higher Town Hall).
New Magic Items (including new type, the Runes & Rings):
- Builder Potion – this Magic Item will speed up the progress of your Builders in the Home Village by 10x for 1 hour.
- Runes – these Magic Items will fill the storage of one of your 5 resources, Gold, Elixir, Dark Elixir, Builder Base Gold, and Builder Base Elixir. Max capacity: 1 per resource type.
- Ring of Walls – this Magic Item will increase the level of your Walls! They can be used to upgrade Walls in both the Home Village and Builder Base. Max capacity: 25. Of course, the higher the level of Wall, the more of these you’ll need…
I really like the idea of runes as they can help out a lot and can get combined with books perfectly. The Ring of Walls will help out in Builder Base a lot as it’s pretty much impossible to max out walls without using Gems.
Overall, I can’t help the feeling that Supercell wants us to max out faster and faster to probably close the gap a little bit before their new “endgame content” gets released. I think I’d like it a little bit more when I would have more left than some last troop upgrades of troops I don’t use and walls 😀
Just like Clan Wars, your Clan will now earn Clan XP at the end of each Clan Games, determined by the number of thresholds reached by you and your Clan mates.
A new Achievement! Complete the new “Games Champion” Achievement by earning personal points in Clan Games to earn some extra gems and player XP.
Tomorrow will come more info with Sneak Peek #2
Update Final Testing & Balancing (February 27th, 2018)
We all know that the upcoming Clash of Clans Update will be in March, but asked for a more precise timeframe, Darian confirmed that they are doing final testing & balancing and are confident that the update can get released very soon.
In addition, he confirmed that the balancing for the Sneaky Archers will be nothing else than a reduced ability time as with the additional Army Camp plus additional troop count per army space in Builder Hall 8, it would be possible to have 72 Sneaky Archers that will completely wreck not matter how well a base is upgraded.
March Update Info (February 20th, 2018)
The March Update will become a solid update in terms of content & quality of life things when taking all the stuff Darian mentioned over on Reddit yesterday:
- Builder Hall 8
- Balancing for Builder Base & Home Village
- Inferno Towers nerf (Single Mode) & buff (Multi Mode)
- Sneaky Archers ability
- much more
- New troop levels in Builder Base & Home Village
- New Clan Games challenges
- New Magical Items (one of them related to walls)
- maybe some “War Tools” (did not said anything more detailed to it, I assume it’s for organizing the wars better)
- Traveling character who brings interesting goodies (also, no more details said by him)
Yesterday, I was doing my best to keep the main things updated but I also promised you that I will share more detailed thoughts on this today.
First of all, sounds like an update we all can be ok with as the first update in a new year is never a really big one in Clash of Clans.
The only thing I’m disappointed about is that neither clouding nor matchmaking will get the long-hoped fixes. Darian said that matchmaking will hopefully see the world before summer and clouding is, due to it’s technical complexity, something they will look at after they dropped “their really massive content update mid of the year”.
Regarding the update I think that new challenges & magical items were something that they said will bring often enough to not be that surprised plus new troop levels are a every-update-thing.
I’m more curious about the mentioned “war tools” – I assume they want to help clans organize their wars to not have to use tools like ClashTrack – however, I doubt they can fully compensate all the features within the game. Making war management easier inside the game, however, is something that should have been done a long time ago so let’s see what Supercell came up with.
The thing about the “traveller that brings interesting goodies” is something I have mixed feeling about. When we look at the fact that Supercell will never ever allow us to trade resources, what purpose & goodies could that traveler serve us for? My first guess would be that he comes from time to time and sells magical items for either resources or gems like the shop in Clash Royale – but I can be totally wrong or maybe also Darian just dropped a little joke on us as he didn’t mention anything more about that. We will find out in the next weeks…
Here’s by the way an index of all his original answers on Reddit (the full AMA is insanely long)
I also put everything regarding the whole 2018 update roadmap together here:
AMA with Darian on Reddit (February 19th, 2018)
Darina is doing is Ask Me Anything thread over on Reddit right now and I wrap(ped) you up the most important stuff here.
I will just put the bullet points here first as I know some of you guys are extremely hyped to read it as fast as possible (will rework it with my opinion when the AMA ended):
- Builder Hall 8 & More fresh content will get released in March 2018
- Mass Sneaky Archer will find an end in BB as they will rework the ability (yeah!)
- Beyond BH8, there is nothing planned for the Builder Base so far, so all the other work will go toward the Home Village the in coming months
- Clan Games will become less frequent in March
- New troop in some kind in 2018, not specifically said a new troop but he said they “recognize [the wish for a new troop and] that and will hopefully remedy that situation”
- Inferno Towers will get some balancing in the March 2018 Update:
- Multi Inferno get a buff
- Single Inferno a nerf
- They want to bring their solution for the current matchmaking with engineering in the first half of the year,not in the March 2018 Update
- Engineering might become a big disadvantage (“I can’t go into details yet as to what the feature is or how it’ll work. But let’s just say this…Engineers will still be able to engineer, but in this new feature they’ll be at a huge disadvantage. That’s all I can say about it at this time.”) I assume he doesn’t mean that engineered bases will become useless, but rather trying to engineer the base will put people at a disadvantage – probably like missing new game content etc. as being forced to max out. I’m really curious about this one…
- Clouding will get addressed later this year as it requires a big overhaul on how the whole game is built – after the “big home village content update mid of 2018”
- More Magic Items coming in the next update (also one that has to do with walls)
- He answered the question what else is coming in the next update with:
- Some balance changes to both BH and Main Village, new troop levels in the BH, some new troop levels in the MV, more buildings for BH, a traveling character who brings you interesting goodies, and hopefully some Clan War tools.
- BH8 release – Some balance changes, some new troops levels, some wall upgrades for TH11, some war tools, some new magic items, some new Clan Games challenges
Here’s the full thread.
Loot Bonanza Event (February 14th, 2018)
We’re heading towards some crazy days in Clash of Clans! Tomorrow the insane Lunar Games (read about it here) will start that will feature the Book of Everything for the first time ever plus 5 days where we get 2x the Clan War Reward & 4x Star Bonus.
Hopefully Supercell adds enough dead bases so the clouding will be at least a little bit ok during that time.
Update Marathon Ahead (February 9th, 2018)
Are we looking toward a couple of content updates in the next months? According to Darian we do:
Well the first thing he’s confirming is that there will be a big change to the war matchmaking – this time hopefully for good. What he’s also saying is that there will be a couple of content updates in the first half year where we have like 4 and a half months left. Hurray!
1 Gem Boost & Obstacle Spawn Rate (February 6th, 2018)
Today we got a surprising 1 Gem Resource Boost Event for the next 8 days, so do not miss the chance to get a lot of extra resources for little Gems!
Also many people are reporting that they did not get a seasonal obstacle (Money Tree or Fireworks) yet – me included. There are many saying that they seem to spawn a lot more in inactive bases, but nothing has been confirmed by Supercell so far.
By the way, here are some good base designs you might want to use to spawn the seasonal obstacles on the outside ring of your base:
Darian Interview (February 4th, 2018)
This weekend, Darian (Supercell Community Manager for Clash of Clans) got interviewed in the Spring Trap Show and was giving a lo t of interesting insights where the game is heading in 2018 and I really recommend to watch it.
If you’re not into watching the whole interview (what I really recommend to do!), here’s a reddit post that will wrap all the answers up.
Chinese New Year Event Update (February 1st, 2018)
Today the Lunar New Year Update is live and you can get it in the AppStore and Google Play and it will let the Money Tree and the Fireworks spawn in your Home Village.
Here are seasonal obstacles:
Also, the real festive day is the February 16th, so we can prepare for some special events coming to use there as well 🙂
In addition there’s full support for the iPhone X included.
Full iPhone X Support (January 31st, 2018)
Many have been asking for full iPhone X support (well, not that “many” when considering that probably 0.01% of all players own an iPhone X…) and now Supercell Support stated that there will be full support (not the compatibility mode) in the next update:
Chinese New Year Event Leaks (January 27th, 2018)
Through the chinese Twitter account from Clash of Clans, a new loading screen has been leaked and it points toward the next update as well:
As you can see, it celebrates Chinese New Year, which is February 16th – 18th and it makes perfectly sense that with the rise in the chinese market, Supercell also starts making events away from the “western” events like Christmas & Halloween.
The picture itself is pretty professional, so I don’t think it’s a fake and it would fit pretty well into the updating schedule.
In addition, there are also two special decorations coming along with this:
As these are from a early developer version of the game, the price & amount available is just a placeholder & I can’t tell you if it will be a seasonal or a permanent obstacle but I personally like the fact that we get more annual events 🙂
BH8, Endgame Content, TH12, What’s Coming 2018 (January 24th, 2018)
I know you might now roll your eyes but I think I want to give you a brief overview of some interesting things that will show us where we’re heading.
Builder Hall 8
Many here, including myself, have expected that we will see Builder Hall 8 becoming available in Q1 2018 as it is finished and maxing out BH7 is by now possible if you are F2P – but Darian denied that they plan to roll it out before April 2018!
What I can read here is that Supercell doesn’t sound like they will add much of Builder Base stuff in the near future and just use it as a gap-filler. In addition, it looks like not that many F2P player actually play Builder Base anymore, as with F2P it is possible to become maxed BH7 by now (well, except walls).
Town Hall 12
I know many think that Town Hall 12 is a sure thing, but in fact I wouldn’t be that sure about it, at least until end of 2018 – and Darian confirmed that.
So, those of you who saw a clickbait video on YouTube, don’t get too hyped – TH12 was not confirmed at any point in the past.
What’s coming 2018?
Well, I understand that this answer will be like that I could swear I have heard this a lot of times before, but it sounds that Supercell’s plans for Clash of Clans are huge this year:
Sounds nice and I personally believe that since Darian is the Community Manager, we have seen a huge improvement to the state we had before in terms of communication. Away from that I’m realistic and think we have some quality of life stuff at top priority right now (matchmaking, clouds…) as well as a refactoring of the league system in general and much more on the list.
I’m looking forward to a new year with this great game 🙂